Art with polarisation
The ruler of Zane keeps breaking in the same place. Is there a device that can predict where the ruler will break?Make a work of art with adhesive tape. If you place it between 2 polarizers, the artwork changes colors. You can also determine stress in plastic materials based on this principle.
Looking for the right materials?
You can purchase the polarizer sheets here on this website.Toolkit
- You can compare a polarizer with a grid.
- It absorbs waves with a polarization direction perpendicular to the transmission direction.
- Optically active materials can rotate the polarization direction of light.
- An LCD screen uses polarizers. It is the liquid crystals that twist the polarization direction of light.
- With polarizers you can also detect stress in plastic materials.
WHAT DO THE PARTICIPANTS LEARN:Facts:
- Describe polarization of light via polarizers and after reflection.
- Describe the phenomenon of polarization of light by means of a model presentation.
- Describe the phenomenon of polarization after reflection and how this is prevented and used in practice.
- The basic physical concepts related to use polarization in an insightful way when conducting student tests, when describing technical designs and when making applications.
- Describe the function of polarizing filters using a concrete example.
- Building their own setup and linking observations to the theory.